Words That Describe a Good Friendship
Have you ever thought of what friendship really means? It is really hard to put into words. Friendships are mutually beneficial, meaning each of you get something out of the relationship. Friends are there when you need them, whether to comfort, support, congratulate, or just listen. Browse this list of words that describe a good friendship, or a true friendship.
Words to Describe Qualities of a Good Friend
When you think of how to describe your good friend, what words immediately come to mind? Explore adjectives to describe a friend for great ideas on how to talk about your BFF.
Great Sayings About Friends
If you are composing a speech or writing a paper and need some sayings or quotes about friendship, consider these famous quotes.
- “The more I think it over, the more I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.” – Vincent van Gogh
- “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” – Marcel Proust
- “Friendship is a sheltering tree.” – Samuel Coleridge
- “The most basic and powerful way to connect to another person is to listen…A loving silence often has far more power to heal and to connect than the most well-intentioned words.” – Rachel Naomi Remen
- “Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” – Mark Twain
- “The only way to have a friend is to be one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wise Words on Friendship From Dale Carnegie
Dale Carnegie wrote one of the first ever self-help books called How to Win Friends and Influence People in 1937. In the book, he explains how to handle people, make them like you, and how to influence them. He stresses the importance of:
- not criticizing or complaining, but giving honest opinions
- the need to smile, remembering their name, and being sincerely interested in people with whom you want to make friends
- being a good listener, getting them to talk about themselves, and then continuing the conversation about things that interest them
These things make the other person feel important and that can be the beginning of a friendship.
Carnegie’s Tips on Making Friends
Dale Carnegie had many words that describe a good friendship and advice on making friends. He also shows the importance of a positive attitude, and that can help you make friends. Here is a sampling of his wisdom.
- The royal road to a man’s heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most.
- When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.
- Do things for others and you’ll find your self-consciousness evaporating like morning dew.
- You can make more friends in two months by becoming more interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you.
- When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
Words for Friends
Talking about a good friend or friendship should be fun and inspiring. Now that you’ve got some great words to describe your best friendships, learn words to show your appreciation for those important people.
Michele Meleen – Staff Editor, Your Dictionary.Com